Everyone fears Mathematics right from one’s childhood to adulthood. The subject needs the best conceptual knowledge and understanding the formulae to solve every problem. IIT JEE is one of the most sought after entrances which is not just tough but different at the same time. As they say “IIT JEE is not difficult but different”, it stands true for Mathematics too. While JEE preparation, one subject that can give cold feet to anyone is Mathematics. There is a solution to every fear and stress. Mathematics is fun when understood to the depth. To prepare Math for IIT JEE will no more be a task for you after learning about a full-proof plan that most of the toppers follow. Preparing for this subject is one of the most important parts of IIT JEE preparation.
Steps for Math Preparation
Math for IIT JEE is definitely not easy and with this challenge already in place, the syllabus is vast. Let’s begin talking about the syllabus.
- Step 1 (Math Syllabus): The syllabus of Mathematics is vast and demands extensive practice. The topics of both class 11 and 12 are included in the entrance and it is all about the understanding of the topics of the two standards. The list of topics are as follows-
- Sets, Relations and Functions
- Complex Numbers and Quadratic Equations
- Matrices and Determinants
- Permutations and Combinations
- Mathematical Induction
- Binomial theorem and its simple applications
- Sequences and Series
- Limit, Continuity and Differentiability
- Integral Calculus
- Differential Equations
- Coordinate Geometry
- Three Dimensional Geometry
- Vector Algebra
- Statistics and Probability
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Step 2 (IIT JEE Books): This is the next step that you must follow because after syllabus, you need to be sorted about the reference materials for Mathematics. The topics are vast and need more books than other subjects for reference. You can have these IIT JEE books for better IIT JEE preparation.
- 11th and 12th standard NCERT Books
- The Elements of Coordinate Geometry Cartesian Coordinates by S.L Loney
- Plane Trigonometry by S.L Loney
- Problems in Calculus of One Variable by I.A Maron
- Algebra by Hall and Knight
- Algebra by Arihant Publications
When you have all the books required to prepare Math for IIT JEE, you need to first start with the NCERT books. That will create the base needed to go high up the ladder. JEE preparation with coaching is incomplete. Let us proceed to the next step.
Step 3 (Join a Coaching): Well unlike other subjects that can be done even through self-study, joining a coaching for Mathematics is advisable. IIT JEE coaching for Mathematics is quite popular as it makes one’s foundation stronger and creates an edge in being more competitive.
When you join a coaching, you will have your hands on experience on questions that have been asked frequently as the faculty is experienced and ex-IITians. You can clear your doubts instantly and can keep yourself updated on what should be given more importance to. Apart from this, you will meet your seniors who have been preparing for long and will guide you appropriately.
Step 4 (Self-Study): Coaching without self-study is meaningless. No brain is so powerful that everything taught in the coaching and classroom can be retained. It takes practice and time. When you solve a problem of Math in your coaching or in school, you should immediately try to solve them at home during your self-study. This will give a good direction to your IIT JEE preparation. You can maintain a separate notebook for different topics of Math so that the study is organized.
Devote three to four hours on self-study with two hours specifically for Math. For Math “Practice Makes a Man Perfect” is the best phrase.
Step 5 (Question Papers): The same question may be asked in different ways in your entrance. You should, therefore, be ready to tackle any type of problem. Solving previous years’ question papers will help you have an idea on what type of question can be expected and what not.
Finally, when you are almost ready and started with your revision, you can start checking your ability. You should start solving the papers within the stipulated time for the entrance. This will help you acquire time management skills appropriately.
Step 6 (Clear Doubts): When you have any doubt, be it in the classroom, coaching or home, be the first one to raise hand and ask questions without any hesitation. You need an answer and it should become your habit.
Step 7 (Eat and Sleep Well/Activities): While you are serious about your Math preparation, you might get drained out. That will be the least you want to happen to you. Before you encounter this situation, maintain your food habits and exercise well. Your body and mind will help you work hard. Without them, you can’t continue with the plan. Keep your body hydrated by drinking lots of water and anything in liquid form. Sleep for at least six hours so that you are ready and well rejuvenated for the next day. For a change of mind and feeling fresh, you can join a Yoga class. It will keep your mind and body in control.
Try these steps for gaining confidence in Mathematics and scoring well to be one of the toppers of IIT JEE.